Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Room Mom Reading Series - Book 2

The second book I read to the class was in October, so I picked a Halloween-type read. I chose to read "Room on the Broom" by Julia Donaldson. It is one of my favorites to read because of the rhyme and it's just really cute!



I just found out they made it into an animation. I missed it, but I was able to check out the trailer and you can too.  Check out the trailer here

Before reading the book, I brought a mystery box full of items that were part of the book (a stuffed orange striped cat, a bow, a frog, mini black cauldron, etc). I would pull them out and introduce them to the children. When they would come up in the book, they would shout out, "there's the bow", for example. I think the mystery box helps engage them a little more.

For this book, I planned a "make your own broom and wand" activity. It was very simple. I cut the shapes with a star-shaped punch for the wand and cut paper triangle shapes for the broom and provided popsicle sticks. I had them cut the bristles for the broom so they could at least get some dexterity practice ; ) The idea came to me the night before I was planned to read. I wanted something simple that could be completed in the allotted amount of time and it needed to be related to the book. These served that purpose and the kids liked them!



I brought in goldfish crackers (I think -- it's been a while and I can't remember the salty item) and I made brooms for the sweet. I got the idea for this on Pinterest. They appeared to be simple enough to make, but putting a pretzel stick into a mini reeses cup proved to be a little more challenging than I thought. The cup wanted to crack. Keeping them in their wrappers helped. 



I hope you liked this one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment